ANY child can drown. ANY time. ANY place. So EVERY one of us needs to know these important facts…and SHARE them:
- Kids under age 1 most often drown in bathtubs, buckets & toilets
- Also dangerous: in-ground and blow-up pools, retention ponds, canals, spas, even a pet’s water dish
- Small kids drown without making a sound
- Drowning begins in as little as 20 seconds
Prevent Needless Drownings
Tell everyone that these steps save lives:
- Eliminate distractions for those watching kids near water. NO texting, phone calls, gaming, reading
- Stay close for a quick rescue
- Never lose sight of small kids near water Make sure fences, gates, windows and doors between kids and water are in place and working properly
- Learn CPR—it’s a proven life saver .
Who Needs to Know
- Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, older siblings & caregivers
- Homeowners with pools, hot tubs & other drowning hazards
- Anyone associated with homes and pools—contractors, real estate agents and pool maintenance companies—all can educate others and help reduce drowning threats
- We ALL need to know drowning dangers and to share them
Take advantage of cost-free water safety programs in your area. The Children’s Board of Hillsborough County’s Mobile Water Safety Team provides mobile swim, water safety and CPR classes at pools throughout Hillsborough County.
View the below video and brochure for more information on how you can be water smart.
Water Safety Is Key video:
Children’s Board of Hillsborough County Water Safety Brochure:
(Click photos to enlarge)