Tips to prevent abusive head trauma
Prevent Needless Deaths Caused by Stressed Caregivers
Tell everyone that these steps save lives:
- Realize that crying is normal—it’s how babies communicate
- Have a list of what to check as reason for crying—hunger, dirty diaper, too hot or cold, teething, over-tired, etc.
- Know who is watching baby: ask them questions, notice their behaviors, ask how they’ll react to crying
- Have support system in place for anyone watching baby: family, friend, neighbors who can relieve stressed-out caregiver
- Know it’s okay for caregiver to take time out by putting baby in crib while taking a few minutes to reduce their stress