Plans for a safer community
As the number of drownings in Hillsborough County continues to rise, county officials are creating plans to create a safer community. They’re taking more preventative measures now than ever before.
The Children’s Board is in the works of reducing the number of drownings this year with new programs in place to educate lower income families and targeted outreach to part-time caregivers.
Follow these tips to save a life:
- Always supervise children around water.
- Install a pool/yard fence with a lock and self-closing gate.
- Install a door alarm so that you’re alerted if a child goes outside unexpectedly.
- Be aware of hidden hazards such as buckets, water bowls, inflatable pools, canals, ponds, and fountains.
- Enroll children in formal swimming lessons.
- Become CPR certified in case of an emergency situation.
Read more in the Tampa Bay Times.